Swedish massage is the most frequently provided and best understood type of massage established in the 18th century in Sweden. A Swedish man, Per Henrik Ling, developed Swedish massage and presented it into the U.S. in 1858 as “The Swedish Motion Cure”. He created his system by combining his understanding of gymnastics, and physiology and from Chinese, Egyptian, Greek, and Roman techniques. It is a complete body massage that uses a combination of long strokes, kneading movements, friction, stretching, and often tapping on the layers of tissue against one another. It is used to increase blood circulation to the location.
Swedish massage is utilized to enhance circulation, ease muscle tension, promote relaxation, enhance versatility, and rids the body of waste products. It can be gentle and sluggish or more energetic depending upon exactly what the therapist is aiming to be achieved. Cream is frequently utilized to minimize friction and stimulate skin health.
What Is Swedish Massage?
Swedish Massage is the most typical type of massage in the western world including “a range of strokes and pressure strategies that are utilized to improve the flow of blood to the heart, eliminate toxins from muscles, stretch ligaments and tendons, ease physical and psychological stress” and eventually stimulate the body (University of Maryland Medical Center). Swedish massage is based upon the western principles of anatomy and physiology as opposed to energy work which is more typical in Asian-style massage (University of Maryland Medical Center).
The Leading 5 Swedish Massage Treatment Methods
– Effleurage massage strokes In Swedish massage, the effleurage strokes include long sliding strokes that go from the neck down to the base of the spine and/or from the shoulder to the finger suggestions. All these strokes need to always go to the heart to aid blood and lymphatic flow. These long strokes are done to the entire body (limbs, back, etc.) The masseur or massage therapist will utilize his/her whole hand or thumb pads to do this stroke, it is sure to unwind anyone.
– Petrissage massage strokes In Swedish massage, the Petrissage massage stroke goes deeper, and is indicated to carefully lift muscles up and away from the bone. By increasing the blood circulation this stroke helps clear out toxic substances from the muscles and nerve tissue.
– Friction massage strokes The friction massage stroke in Swedish massage treatment is the deepest penetrating stroke. The masseur or massage therapist will make deep circular and/or transverse movements with their thumb pads or fingertips.
– Tapotement massage strokes In Swedish massage, the tapotement strokes are much better know to common individuals as the karate slice, because you use your hands to at the same time strike or tap the muscles for a stimulating impact. There are variations to this stroke, though the variations are simply how your hand is when you strike: Open or closed fist, with the side of the hand or fingertips. It is a good stroke to utilize on tense, spasming or cramping muscles. Shaking or vibration stroke is not really a stroke, however that is what they call it.
– Masseurs or massage therapists will press their hands on a spot they want to massage and start shaking with pressure for a couple of seconds. It is extremely important to remember that when giving (or getting) a Swedish massage the strokes should constantly go to the heart, if you do not you will not get the complete advantages of the massage.